Saturday, September 5, 2009

Legacy

Have you ever known someone who left a legacy when they passed on? I couldn't let today go by without mentioning my dear grandparents, whom I refer to as Mimie and Papa. Nine years ago today, they died together in a car accident. And my, what a legacy they left.

Mimie and Papa were a wonderful example to me. They lived their lives for God, and as a result, they exemplified kindness, generosity, patience, humility, forgiveness, strength, work ethic, faithfulness, and so much more. They only got to meet one of my precious children (Abbie) and she was the light of their lives. They adored her, and I was so blessed to have gotten to see them with her. They died when Abbie was 2 years old.

Papa once told me when I was pregnant that he had a dream that I was having a red-headed, blue-eyed boy. It's funny how Jack came along and fulfilled that "prophecy." Jack is a lot like Papa, and I know they would have been crazy about each other.

I will forever hold close to my heart the memories of Mimie telling her childhood stories, and Papa doing silly things like sticking his dentures out at strangers in public. I can still feel their hands in mine and smell Mimie's perfume and Papa's Old Spice.

I only hope I can live a life that my children and hopefully grandchildren someday will be proud of. I have made many mistakes, but I can try my best to be a better person. There are many other people in my life that also lead a wonderful example for me (I hope you know who you are).

What kind of legacy will you leave? You will be remembered. How you will be remembered is still up to you.

1 comment: