Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My Achy-Breaky Heart






Woe is me. My in-laws came to visit this past weekend (that is not the "woe" part - I adore them) and took our sugar babies back home with them. The kids are visiting cousins and friends in our old hometown until we go this weekend to get them. So my heart is all torn up. Can't believe how much I miss them!


Kenny said this will be a good time for us to find out if we have anything in common anymore other than the kids. He's harrassing me. Again. Smart aleck. Sunday night after the kids left we got a bottle of wine (split one glass between us -- PAAAR-TAY) and had cheese and crackers with summer sausage, or "meat log" as the kids call it. Kenny said that sounded like a fruity way to spend the evening. But he regained his masculinity last night when he bought a miter saw -- urgh, urgh, urgh. Those are supposed to be manly grunting noises like Tim the Tool Man Taylor makes. If you are too young to remember "Home Improvement," please don't ask me who Tim is. I feel old enough already.

At least I know the kids are having fun. They've been swimming at the lake, at Aunt Pam and Uncle Dee's pond, and the pool. And it's only day 2. They spent Sunday night with Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Gary and their kids. Abbie sent me a text at 2:58 am with a picture of Jack snoozing with his face covered in makeup. Abbie and her cousin, Sophia, painted that poor boy up in his sleep. When I told Kenny, he said, "That's not right! He's gonna be SO MAD when he wakes up!" I was laughing and he said something to the effect of, "You don't understand! You're not a boy! That is just mean!" You have to know here that Kenny has issues with this kind of thing. He grew up with 3 sisters. Once when he was asleep, one or all (not sure who exactly) of them painted his toenails. So he has issues.

I told Kenny I was sure Jack would get Abbie back, and he said he would help. When I talked to Abbie that morning, she said Jack woke her and Sophia up by throwing frozen broccoli at them and that he rubbed it all over her face and put it down her shirt. The girls had demonstrated their artistic talents on Sophia's brother, Sam, as well. So the boys got their sweet revenge in the morning. I'm sure Kenny thinks it wasn't enough, and will be scheming for another little treat for Abbie.

Lily hasn't had near the drama. Every time I talk to her she says, "I'm being good girl." I guess she thinks we're worried about her raising a stink, screaming, spitting, etc. Why on Earth would she think that????? Oh yeah, I remember now. But seriously, she has gotten sooooo much better and really is a sweetheart! She just sometimes forgets that she is not the boss of the entire world.

I had a little comfort food and retail therapy last night to cheer me up. We ate the most gigantic burritos ever, then Kenny took me to get a purse and a pair of shoes (after the miter saw -- but that's my toy too). Having the kids away is expensive. But hey, we did eat pancakes at home tonight. I think I'll wash that gray right out of my hair tomorrow night. Crazy times, crazy times . . . .

3 comments:

  1. Poor Jack! I live with two boys and have to put up with things like, "do you wanna watch Robo Cop with us?"...uh no I'm watching 18 kids and counting!

    I got to know. Was the burrito bigger than the ones we had in California while my car was in the shop?

    Love ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you say anything, I know I had a typo. It should have been - I HAVE got to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excitted you finally took the blog plunge. Now I can see the kids and hear all about them.. Thank you..... Cant imagine Lilly thinking the world revolves around her. Oh wait a min. I have a little girl just like that..LOL.. So good to hear you took advantage of your time without children, like coloring your hair..LOL I certain understand cause when you get to be our age there are priorities and then there are priorities.LOL Keep the post coming.. Hugs
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete